The need for one-on-one mentoring is clear, but only 5 percent of the youth in need of a mentor in Springfield are connected with one through a formal program. SSV’s School-Based Mentoring Program matches students in the Springfield Public Schools with caring adults who serve as positive role models and trusted friends. Mentors meet with students at school once a week. The expected minimum commitment is one school year.
The goals of the mentoring program are to:
- promote academic achievement and consistent attendance at school
- help students make successful transition from one grade level to the next
- increase the graduation rate of participating students
- positively impact social emotional learning
Research has shown that quality mentoring programs can positively impact youth development and that youth with mentors are more likely to have:
- fewer absences from school
- better attitudes toward school
- fewer incidents of violence
- less drug and alcohol use
- more positive attitudes toward their elders and toward helping in general, and
- improved relationships with their parents
Sign Up to Be a Mentor Today
Training is required and is offered at various times throughout the year. Contact us for more information.